The October 2003 meeting of RCVS Council cleared the confusion created over the years regarding what listed VN's were able to do in the oral cavity under Schedule 3 of the Veterinary Surgeons Act.
It is now clear that the RCVS will not allow listed VN's to extract teeth with instruments unless they are already mobile. In addition, work under the gum line (subgingival) or the creation of flaps for periodontal surgery is also now forbidden to non-veterinarians.
These are major changes and will substantially affect the way many practices work as regards dental work. The RCVS make the point that non-listed VN's or non-qualified staff already have no status in this area.
BVM&S, FAVD, Dipl.AVDC,
RCVS, American & European Specialist in Veterinary Dentistry
Latest Site Updates
- Bear with a sore head
- Amy Riva RVN
- Google Maps and Virtual Clinic Tour
- Walker the polar bear goes to the dentist
- Mr Norris - our rescue cat case as an internet sensation!
- New Resident for DentalVets
- Susan Thorne
- Dental Radiology Course 12 May 2015
- AVDC residency site approval
- John Barrowman Small Animal Hospital